Business License Procedures

Congratulations on your new business in the beautiful City of Mt. Shasta. The City welcomes new enterprise and values the many businesses that have made Mt. Shasta their home.

How to Apply for a Business License

The City of Mt. Shasta requires all organizations operating within the City to have a business license (City Ordinance Title 5.04).

Complete the form Business License Application with payment calculated from the Business License Fee Schedule. The Emergency Contact Information form included in the Business License Application must be completed to allow the Mt. Shasta Police Department to contact business owners and managers in the event of an emergency during or after business hours.

Complete the form Daily Business License Application with payment calculated from the front of the application if you will be attending any events within the City as a vendor.

If you need assistance, please call (530) 926-7510.

Business Improvement Area Tax

There are Parking District Fees and Snow Removal Fees for businesses that are located in the downtown Mt. Shasta Business Improvement Area. To determine if you are located within the boundaries of the Business Improvement Area, please refer to the Business Improvement Area Map

Parking District fees are based on the square footage of the business area for retail and commercial office space. For restaurants, the fees are based on the number of seats in the facility. Any privately-owned parking spaces will be given a credit per parking space, and will be deducted from the total amount calculated.

Operating a Business Out of Your Home

If you will be operating your business out of your home and live within the City Limits, you will be required to obtain a Home Occupation Permit Application from the Mt. Shasta Planning Department.

Signage for Your Business

Planning Department clearance is required if you are installing or changing any signage. Building Department approval is required if you are making any modifications to the facility in which you are operating, or a change in the type of use of the facility.

An Encroachment Permit is required if you will be encroaching on City property (i.e., sandwich boards, tables, sidewalk sales, etc.) For more information, contact Mt. Shasta City Hall.

Additional Licenses or Permits

Siskiyou County Health Department approval is required for facilities listed on the Health Department worksheet. Please contact them prior to submitting your Business License Application.

Fictitious Business Name — If your business name is anything other than your legal name, a Fictitious Name Statement must be obtained from the Siskiyou County Clerk’s office. They are located at 311 4th Street in Yreka, California and may be contacted at (530) 842-8084. A copy of the Fictitious Name Statement must be provided to the City when applying for a business license.

Internal Revenue Service — Your business may require a Federal Tax I.D. number, which is required for reporting Federal Income Tax. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) TAX-1040, or visit the IRS website for more information.

Franchise Tax Board — All businesses are required to report State Income Tax. Contact the Franchise Tax Board at (800) 852-5711, or visit the FTB website for more information.

California Department of Tax and Fee Administration – Our website,, has specific information about the programs we administer, how to register for permits and licenses, and how to file and report correctly.

The CalGold website,, is a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other departments, including ours.

Other Resources

JEDI – Jefferson Economic Development Initiative
205 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta, CA 96067
(530) 926-6670

Mt. Shasta Chamber of Commerce
300 Pine Street, Mount Shasta, CA 96067
(530) 926-3696

Mt. Shasta City Revolving Fund (CDBG)
Administrated by Great Northern Services
310 Boles Street, Weed, CA 96094
(530) 938-4115

Siskiyou County Economic Development Council
1512 S. Oregon Street, Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 842-1638

The Smart Workforce Center 

582 Main Street, Weed, CA 96094

(530) 657-0139